No products in the cart.
Ahhh..the infamous bao (bun) that is perfectly paired with pork belly: undeniable. How does a foodie resist such a heartwarming and sexy sammie?! You. Can’t!
I made these pork belly bao sammies for a party this past weekend and despite being partially drunk while making them they came out amazingly well! This is a really quick and easy recipe, but it won’t disappoint your guests. You will definitely be everyone’s favorite friend of the night!
Package/slab pork belly
2 bags frozen bao buns
- Boil water and simmer the pork belly for 30 minutes (or try roasting the pork covered in aluminum foil). Drain and rinse with cold water, pat dry. Cut into even pieces.
- Slice cucumbers and add about 1/4 cup rice vinegar along with 1 tbsp of sugar. Pickle!
- Rinse and cut parsley into 2 inch pieces to fit the bao. Refrigerate with cucumbers.
- Heat up a wok with sesame oil and brown the pieces of pork belly (2 minutes on each side). Once brown add soy sauce and stirfry for another minute.
- Keep all cooked pork belly pieces in a covered pot and once everything has been browned, add a little hoisin sauce to the pot and mix.
- Place a paper napkin on a plate and layer 4 bao buns with damp paper napkin on top. Microwave the bao for about 2 minutes while flipping to make sure bottom is warm.
- Add hoisin to the inside of the bao, lay a piece of pork belly down and top with your pickled cucumbers, parsley (and if you’d like, crushed peanuts) BOOM!